LOCAL SEIU 32BJ
Job Title: Director, Data Analytics and Strategy
Location: New York, NY
With 163,000 members, SEIU 32BJ is the largest union representing property service workers in the country. 32BJ is growing quickly by organizing workers who are fighting for a living wage, respect, and a voice in their future. We seek a Director of Data Analytics and Strategy to oversee the strategic use of data in effectively supporting our union’s program and mission. Like many organizations, our union is increasingly data-driven in its decision making and now must move toward a clear vision of data as a valuable asset that can help us achieve our goals.
The Director will be part of the executive team, leading the organization toward this vision, and coordinating data work throughout the Union. The Director will serve as a strategist and advisor, as well as a steward for improving data quality, analysis and development of new data tools.
Reporting to the Chief of Staff or Deputy Chief of Staff, the Director will work collaboratively with the executive officers and department/district directors. The Director will supervise the data team (currently three staff with plans to grow) as well as drive individual projects and work.
- Work with officers and department/district directors to develop data priorities and strategies and implement them across the union, via work plans;
- Improve data collection and quality and create metrics for measuring data quality; improve linkages between datasets;
- Improve, streamline and prioritize existing reports and build new ones to reflect organizational goals; standardize and ensure consistency across the organization;
- Be a champion for a data-driven, decision-making culture;
- Develop processes to ensure consistent application and use of analytics;
- Build robust training program and curriculum for various levels of users across the Union;
- Work closely with the IT department in the development of new mobile apps and technologies;
- Provide on-going analysis of our American Dream Fund (ADF) activity, membership numbers, steward rewards program and deliver reports on these programs;
- Manage department budget (TBD).
- 10 to 15+ years of experience, including at least 7 to 10 years management experience;
- Solid technology leadership skills, including high level vision and understanding of data strategy;
- Demonstrated experience improving data quality, reporting and management;
- Strong leadership and communications skills including excellent written, presentation and relationship-building skills;
- Experience in information management projects and programs, including implementing/leveraging enterprise application development methodologies;
- Experience with Qlikview, CRM, SQL, Excel and other database and BI related technologies;
- Experienced team manager with demonstrated ability to lead, mentor and inspire staff, as well as oversee team growth;
- Familiarity with data governance and security/privacy compliance;
- Experience at a membership-based organization, or the ability and willingness to transfer experience from a consumer-facing company and learn our business;
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment, as well as achieve individual objectives;
- Ability to deliver multiple projects in a fast paced, dynamic environment;
- Bachelor’s degree (experience equivalent will be considered); graduate degree in data science or management a plus;
- Experience with, and commitment to, social justice issues a plus.
32BJ offers a competitive salary and a full benefits package, including a pension plan and employer-paid health coverage for full-time employees and their eligible dependents.
People of color and women are encouraged to apply.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for us, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.