SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Database Specialist Grade: I
Location: Positions are available in Miami, Florida; Orlando, Florida; Washington, D.C.; Chicago, IL; Los Angeles, CA and Philadelphia, PA.
Job Duration: This is a term position not to exceed nine (9) months
Purpose of the Position:
To assist in the development and implementation of worker information database support for various campaigns within the division or region to ensure that information is accurate, comprehensive, and secure, and that users can receive needed information from the databases.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs a wide range of duties as assigned by the International Union, including, but not limited to the following:
1. Assists in the implementation of database operations for the campaign.
2. Advises, assists, and trains other SEIU and local staff to use the database tools.
3. Assists in coordination with the region or division directors or campaign leads or venders to maintain accurate lists and provide reports, lists, and other materials to support the campaign.
4. Maintain security procedures to ensure safety and integrity of data and paper lists. Maintain user access; maintain user passwords, and procedures to ensure on site and off site backup of data.
5. Import and export files between formats and programs such as Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, delimited text files, and a variety of file formats including utilizing e-mail and web based applications.
6. Assists outside technology consultants and SEIU IT department on installing new hardware or software systems.
7. Maintain or oversee maintenance of database office files including original materials such as lists, authorization cards, etc.
8. Assist in writing training and operation materials. Train campaign staff to access system generated reports for campaign needs. Train database staff to produce custom reports as needed.
9. Performs other duties as required to assist the International Union.
10. Must be available for frequent travel with overnight stays required. Long and irregular hours.
Scope and Nature of Supervision
Must be able to act and organize time with independence.
A high level of judgment, ability to take initiative and work independently; must be able to work with elected leaders and staff in complex and sometimes political situations.
Must be able to handle multiple priority projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines.
Reports to the Division or Regional Campaign Director.
Bachelor’s Degree in IT related field preferred.
Previous Work Experience:
One year of experience in information technology field managing large databases.
Demonstrated experience in managing large amounts of data, importing and exporting data, implementing security systems and procedures, writing and training users to use technology.
Demonstrated experience working with Microsoft software, installing hardware and software, monitoring equipment and software and making recommendations to solve problems.
Previous experience with the labor movement or other advocacy organizations preferred.
Specialized Knowledge and Training:
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, database design, importing and exporting files between formats and programs including utilizing e-mail and web based applications.
Excellent writing, verbal and analytical skills.
Ability to train users to operate the systems.
Familiarity with organizing and political campaign strategies preferred.
THIS IS A TERM POSITION NOT TO EXCEED NINE (9) MONTHS.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
This position is part of a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and as such the incumbent is bound by the language of said agreement and party to all benefits, dues and requirements associated with being a member of a union and the (CBA). Relocation costs are not reimbursed.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer