SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
National Director of Digital Strategy Grade: MGT F
Location: Washington, D.C.
Directs and provides overall leadership to all SEIU national digital work to support priorities for growth, to involve members and the public in achieving those growth goals, and to brand SEIU as the national and international union within the industry.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
· Chiefly directs strategy, prioritization and implementation of digital communications, technology, advertising, design, and development.
· Leads digital national communications team for rapid response and strategic communications plan through social media, mass email, text messaging, online advertising and online activism.
· Directs all aspects of national digital strategy for all division growth and political/legislative/advocacy campaigns.
· Directs and serves as key contact for digital communications with allies and partners.
· Helps develop and implement overall SEIU strategy as part of the International union’s communications lead management team.
· Directs strategies and activities to improve the public image and visibility of the labor movement and SEIU and to maintain effective relations with national and local media.
Digital Design and Development
· Supervise the production of visual content and style modifications for multiple websites including seiu.org and other web properties.
· Manage the creation and development of new websites and microsites for SEIU and allied organizations.
· Direct the creation of graphics for SEIU’s new media team, including but not limited to: email campaign graphics, web site graphics, online advertising, and others as needed.
Management and Administration
· Coordinates with the Executive Office and divisions, departments, and field on strategies, budgets, resource allocation, staffing, and other issues.
· Serves as part of the senior management team of SEIU’s Communications Department.
· Helps manage the Communications Department, including planning, budgeting, and project management, and coordinates with divisions, departments, and field on those issues.
· Directs vendor management for division communications work.
· Prepares and monitors digital communications budget.
· Directs allocation of staff team resources.
· Directs recruiting, reviewing, and recommending hiring for digital communications staff.
· Directly responsible for retention of digital communications staff, including training, feedback, reviews, skill and career development.
· Performs other duties as assigned in support of the work of the department.
Must be able to represent the International Union with local leaders, members, staff, and outside organizations utilizing independent judgment and the highest level of professionalism.
This position interfaces with highest-level organizational and external contacts, including:
· SEIU officers, division leadership, International senior staff, project and program managers, field and organizing directors, local union officers and staff.
· Vendors: consultants, pollsters, freelancers, video and multi-media producers, advertising agencies.
Ensures that sophisticated choices are made about appropriate vendors and support services.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Deputy Director of Communications and works with extreme independence.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors degree in communications or related field. Eight to ten years of related work experience or a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
· Must be able to handle multiple “priority” projects simultaneously and set and meet deadlines, and ensure that staff team does the same.
· Experience developing and implementing strategy on a wide range of campaigns, including organizing, contract, political, and legislative, as well as experience working with community allies.
· Thorough knowledge of digital strategies, including list-building on various platforms, online advertising techniques, web content management, multivariate testing to optimize results, and online organizing.
· Excellent writing, verbal, and analytical skills.
· Demonstrated capacity to continuously develop knowledge and skills related to use of rapidly changing technology.
· Must have demonstrated ability to manage own work and work of others without supervision.
· Experience in developing high-quality online properties and expert knowledge of graphic and web design principles, as well as good understanding of current web technologies.
· Must be able to work with International and local union elected leaders and senior staff in complex and sometimes politically sensitive situations.
· Skill in the use of personal computer including Microsoft Office Suite.
· Ability to write and proofread Spanish desired.
Work is generally performed in an office setting, but job may require work in the field or in other settings to perform the tasks required to complete assignments. Must be available for frequent travel with overnight stays. Long and irregular hours.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.