SEIU Local 503 (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Executive Director
Location: Portland, Oregon or Salem Oregon
SEIU 503, Oregon’s largest labor union, is searching for its next Executive Director. This person is charged through the organization’s bylaws with the supervision and direction of the daily work of the union, including the effective operations of approximately 150 represented and unrepresented staff in six offices and a budget of over $31 million. The Executive Director is responsible for guiding the collective bargaining of over 50 public and private sector union contracts, representation, organizing, political advocacy, and communications programs which help accomplish our union’s goals. The Executive Director also frequently represents the union in various local, state, and national settings. Click here for a link to the position description.
The Executive Director is an officer of the union directly elected by the membership every two years. With an anticipated vacancy in this position, the Board unanimously elected to conduct a national search in order to hire our next Executive Director. A successful candidate for Executive Director hired by the Board shall stand for election in August 2018.
· Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
· Demonstrated commitment to worker empowerment and appreciation of the central role of unions in our society.
· Five years of middle or senior management or union leadership experience in positions of increasing responsibility, including managing a staff and budget comparable to that of this organization.
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university or commensurate experience.
· Significant administrative experience, including managing a substantial organizational budget, strategic planning, and staff development.
· Experience in collective bargaining, public policy, labor representation and advocacy, and/or social justice activism.
· Experience working in a member-based, democratic organization.
· Experience working with members from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, including race, language, and political perspectives.
· Deep understanding of the legal and political environment surrounding labor organizing and the ability to navigate and strategize related to Supreme Court challenges, State ballot initiatives, and other matters.
Compensation and Benefits
The Executive Director compensation is based on experience and currently ranges from $79,000 to $105,000 annually. Benefits include comprehensive fully-paid health, dental and vision benefits for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, generous holiday and vacation policies, a monthly car and cell phone allowance, and a 15% employer-paid defined contribution 401K.
Irregular, long hours frequently required. Occasional travel and overnight stays are required.
As the most diverse union in North America, we are committed to having an inclusive leadership and staff, both to reflect our membership and to model the unity and equity that we seek to create among our communities. Women, LGBTQ, people of color, people with different abilities, and immigrants are strongly encouraged to apply.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for us, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan. Application Deadline is January 31st 2018.
SEIU Local 503 is an Equal Opportunity Employer.