SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Communications Coordinator Grade: MGT D
Location: Washington, D.C.
Manages SEIU division communications and media work to support priorities for growth, to involve members and the public in achieving those growth goals, and to brand SEIU as the national and international union within the industry.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Manages strategy and implementation of division communications.
- Manages creation of division communications content.
- Manages message development and work of pollsters.
- Manages communications strategy for division growth and political/legislative/advocacy campaigns.
- Manages communications with members of the division.
- Manages communications with potential members of the division.
- Manages external media relations strategy and implementation.
- Provides spokesperson training for local leaders and members.
- Manages speech writing and other visibility work for leadership.
- Serves as a key contact for communications with allies and partners.
- Manages campaign event communications – strategy, message, look and feel, materials, marketing, media outreach, event flow and agenda.
- Directly supervises individuals on division communications team, including those in field campaigns.
- Oversees work of communicators within locals in the division to ensure high quality standards, best practices, and consistency of message.
- Helps division identify locals that need to increase communications capacity to carry out division priorities.
- Assists Director of Communications Training and Capacity in …
- Developing plans for local union communications staff development.
- Providing training for local communicators.
- Recruiting local staff, and assisting local with evaluating and hiring candidates.
- Ensuring high quality standards and best practices in all division, campaign, and member communications.
Management and Administration
- Helps manage the communications work for the division, including planning, budgeting, and project management, and coordinates with divisions, departments, and field on those issues.
- Assists with vendor management for division communications work.
- Helps prepare and monitor division communications budget, including budgets for division campaigns.
- Recruits, reviews, and recommends hiring for division communications staff.
- Directly responsible for retention of division communications staff, including training, feedback, reviews, skill and career development.
- Performs other duties as assigned in support of the work of the department.
Must be able to represent the International Union with local leaders, members, staff, and outside organizations utilizing independent judgment and a high level of professionalism.
Interfaces with high level organizational and external contacts, including:
- SEIU officers, division leadership, International senior staff, project and program managers, field, political, and organizing directors, local union officers and staff.
- External: news media, politicians, government officials, partners and allies.
- Vendors: design and production companies, consultants, pollsters, freelancers, video and multi-media producers, advertising agencies.
Ensures that sophisticated choices are made about appropriate vendors and support services.
Direction and Decision Making:
Reports to the Assistant Director of Communications and works with extreme independence.
- Must have demonstrated ability to manage own work and work of others without supervision.
- Requires a high level of judgment and ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Must use a high level of judgment and discretion in resolving problems within the Communications Department and throughout SEIU.
- Must maintain a high level of confidentiality in handling SEIU affairs.
- Must be able to work with International and local union elected leaders and senior staff in complex and sometimes politically sensitive situations.
- Must be able to act and organize time with extreme independence.
- Must be able to handle multiple “priority” projects simultaneously and set and meet deadlines, and ensure that staff team does the same.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors degree in communications or related field. Five to eight years of related work experience.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Experience developing and implementing strategy on a wide range of campaigns, including organizing, contract, political, and legislative, as well as experience working with community allies.
- Thorough knowledge of media relations strategies.
- Thorough knowledge of electronic and print media systems. Knowledge of advertising techniques and familiarity with all aspects of literature, audiovisual, and online production process required.
- Excellent writing, verbal, and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to continuously develop knowledge and skills related to use of rapidly changing technology.
- Knowledge of unions or other advocacy organizations.
- Skill in the use of personal computer including Microsoft Office Suite.
Work is generally performed in an office setting, but job may require work in the field or in other settings to perform the tasks required to complete assignments. Must be available for frequent travel with overnight stays. Long and irregular hours.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.