SEIU BENEFIT FUNDS
Job Title: Assistant Pension Processing Manager Grade C
The Assistant Pension Processing Manager’s responsibility is to assist the Pension Processing Manager in administering pension benefits for the SEIU Pension Plan for Employees, the SEIU Affiliates’ Officers and Employees Pension Plan and the SEIU National Industry Pension Plan covering participants of these plans in the United States and Canada. This responsibility includes assisting in the oversight of the day-to-day processing of pension benefits to deliver benefits and services to participants in an efficient, effective and accurate manner.
Primary Responsibilities: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Assist in the supervision of staff and review of staff work in the daily administration of five Defined Benefit Retirement Plans (US and Canadian Plans) consistent with the applicable plan document, ERISA regulations, Qualified Domestic Relations Orders, Board of Trustees’ objectives, IRS regulations, Canadian Government and other legislation
- Ensure the efficient delivery of pension benefits and related activities sponsored by each of the SEIU Retirement Plans, in compliance with plan documents and federal regulations.
- Interpret, evaluate, and communicate plan language, merger agreements and retirement options as they relate to participant status, eligibility, benefit calculations, and benefit payments
- Assist in the responsibility of the interpretation, calculation and communication to participants of the benefit payment options
- Assist in monitoring and implementing US and Canadian Government benefit compliance requirements
- Assist in design and development of promotional materials
- Travel to make presentations to participants, employers and local union staff as related to pension benefits
- Assist with the coordination of mergers with other pension benefit plans
- Oversee the preparation of benefit information and census data for actuaries and other service providers
Oversee the preparation of trustee meeting reports as related to the Pension Processing Department
- Work with the Director to provide information to the Department of Labor
- Oversee the Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (“QDRO”) process
- Process the pension benefit appeals
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the SEIU Benefit Funds
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Pension Processing Manager.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor degree in business administration, finance, or other related field; and two (2) years of experience in pension processing, 3 years of managerial experience
Or a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to interpret, analyze and comprehend plan documents
- Ability to adapt quickly to a fluid/constantly changing environment
- Knowledge of ERISA and IRS Code as related to pension benefits
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to multi-task and simultaneously track the progress of numerous projects and reports
- Ability to design, develop and implement short and long term goals for the department
- Advanced skills in the use of personal computers, specifically Microsoft Office Suite software
- Strong diplomatic and discretionary skills; handling sensitive situations without deviating from the plan document
- Ability to manage/lead several staff members effectively
- Ability to train and develop staff
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for us, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU Benefit Funds is an Equal Opportunity Employer.