SEIU Local 1 (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Union Organizer
Location: Detroit MI
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service industries and fighting in larger struggles for social justice on issues such as health care, immigration and education reform. We are now hiring Organizers based in Detroit, MI to work on exciting worker organizing campaigns to support non-union workers. This position may require travel.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to low-wage workers.
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
- Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead campaigns.
- Conducting individual/group meetings with workers to discuss and plan organizing campaigns.
- Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take action.
- Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on industry sectors.
- Coordinating with workers to gather information that is useful in identifying opportunities for membership growth and mobilization.
- Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Capacity to work independently and with a team.
- The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
- Sharp communications skills.
- Basic writing and computer skills.
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Willingness to conduct house visits and work site visits.
- Previous experience in union or community organizing is desirable.
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required.
- A car and a valid driver’s license are required.
- Fluency in Arabic is a plus.
- If offered a position, relocation to Detroit, Michigan will be required. Relocation costs are not covered by SEIU Local 1.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary is competitive and negotiable (based on the SEIU Local 1 Staff Union Contract).
- Full benefits package, including health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation.
- Car allowance.
SEIU LOCAL 1 is an equal opportunity employer.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for us, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU Local 1 is an Equal Opportunity Employer.