SEIU National Fast Food Workers Union (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Organizer
Location: Miami, Florida
SEIU National Fast Food Workers Union is hiring a full-time Organizer in Miami. We seek an individual who is interested in a career fighting alongside low wage workers who are leading the campaign to win “$15 and a Union”.
Salary: Salary is commensurate based on experience. The Organizer Position is a United Media Guild bargaining unit position subject to a staff union contract.
Reports To: Senior Lead Organizer and Coordinator
Supervises: This position does not supervise staff.
Purpose of Position: The SEIU-NFFWU Organizer will represent and assist NFFWU in organizing fast food workers and implementing the organizing goals of the Campaign.
About SEIU NFFWU:
SEIU NFFWU is working to expand the movement and deepen the successful fights to raise employment standards and unite workers in organizing their union in the fast food industry through national, state and community campaigns.
SEIU NFFWU is affiliated with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), which has more than 2 million members in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico. NFFWU is united with those 2.2 million members in a shared belief in the dignity of workers and the value of their work, and in a commitment to a more just and humane society.
(Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
To conduct broad and intensive outreach efforts to fast food workers and other low-wage workers by:
1. Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
2. Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead campaigns.
3. Conducting individual/group meetings with workers to discuss and plan organizing campaigns.
4. Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take action.
5. Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on industry sectors.
6. Coordinating with workers to gather information that is useful in identifying opportunities for membership growth and mobilization.
7. Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Demonstrated commitment to social justice and grassroots organizing.
· Possession of excellent listening skills and the ability to comprehend the concerns of others.
· The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
· Sharp communications skills.
· Basic writing and computer skills.
· The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
· Willingness to conduct house visits and work site visits.
· Ability to manage your time independently and carry out work plans with minimal supervision.
· Willingness to travel for extended periods of time.
· Ability to work long and irregular hours, including some nights, weekends, and holidays.
· Ability to motivate and activate others.
· Possession of sharp problem-solving skills.
· Possession of basic map navigation skills a plus.
· Must possess a valid U.S. driver's license, auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
The position is nationwide. Work is generally performed from a field office setting or other location to complete the required assignments of the position. Long and extended hours and a minimal amount of overnight travel may be required.
SEIU NFFWU staff enjoys top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, competitive salaries, generous holiday and vacation policies, and a 401(K) Plan.
A cover letter and resume are required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU NFFWU, and provide examples of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU NFFWU is an Equal Opportunity employer that values and respects the diversity of its staff. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.