SEIU Committee of Interns and Residents (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: External Labor Organizer
San Francisco Bay Area, CA (San Francisco-Oakland)
The Committee of Interns and Residents, the largest resident physicians' union in the country, is looking for outgoing, energetic, and intellectually curious candidates to fill labor organizer positions based in the California Bay Area. Our ideal candidate will have a demonstrated ability to excel working on a team and to organize individuals of various backgrounds to support an idea.
CIR is a nationwide, progressive, member-driven healthcare union representing 15,000 resident physicians. Our vision is to achieve a more just and efficient healthcare system, where residents have a strong voice.
CIR is committed to the growth of the organization through strategic organizing campaigns. To accomplish this, we need highly driven and committed individuals who:
● Meet deadlines and juggle a large workload in a fast-paced campaign environment
● Make initial contact with potential members
● Identify and develop resident leaders
● Research residency programs and healthcare institutions
● Develop communication materials
What you gain from a position with CIR:
● Hands-on campaign experience, with the opportunity to develop and implement new strategies for growing our union.
● Engagement with physicians on issues related to quality improvement, health disparities and better working conditions.
● Opportunity to work directly with physicians-in-training, gaining an understanding of front line providers in the hospital setting.
● Opportunity to work with a tight-knit team of organizers, as well as communications, research, legal, political and contract staff.
● Opportunity to develop skills in public speaking, health care economics, strategic research, and campaign execution.
● Competitive salary: $55,000-$77,000; commensurate with experience
● Excellent benefits package: health, dental, vision, disability, 401(k), pension plan and paid sick/vacation time.
CIR is looking for candidates who have:
● Prior union or other organizing experience
● Willingness to travel nationally, sometimes for extended period of time
● Strong spoken and written communication skills
● Ability to work independently, think critically, and operate within a dynamic and complex organizing environment
● A valid driver's license and auto insurance.
● Relocation to the California Bay Area is required if offered a position. CIR does not reimburse or cover relocation costs.
● Healthcare and constituent list management experience preferred, but not required.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for us, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
CIR is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants. Please visit our website for more information: www.cirseiu.org