SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Assistant to the Secretary-Treasurer Grade: MGT F - Starting Salary, $116,915 / YR
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Assistant to the Secretary-Treasurer is responsible for supporting the Secretary-Treasurer across all his responsibilities. The position represents the Secretary-Treasurer in planning and implementation of the union’s program with Officers, other senior staff and key external relationships, and oversees the preparation and organization of the Secretary-Treasurer’s priority work and time.
· Oversees the office of the Secretary-Treasurer, including developing and implementing plans related to his priority responsibilities
· Serves as liaison to the Chief of Staff, Chief Financial Officer and Finance Department on financial and budget matters for the union and other parts of the Secretary-Treasurer’s portfolio (which currently includes work on the union’s political program and racial justice work)
· Represents the Secretary-Treasurer with Officers, local union leaders and senior staff in union-wide planning, decision-making and operations.
· Serves as an advisor to the Secretary-Treasurer and supports the Secretary-Treasurer in strategic thinking in priority areas, including work with movement and political partners
· Participates as a member of the Executive Office team, partnering with the Chief of Staff on setting the direction of the union-wide program and planning, including planning for key meetings and decisions
· Ensures the preparation of the Secretary-Treasurer for key SEIU leadership and external partner meetings, which includes materials preparation and briefing
· Ensures the functioning of the scheduling and administrative operations of the Secretary-Treasurer’s office
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Include senior SEIU staff, SEIU International Officers, Political, Community and Union leaders and staff.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Chief of Staff, the individual must have the ability to significantly impact on senior-level decisions.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree is preferred but not required.
Equivalency: At least five (5) years of experience in the labor movement or other progressive organizations. An understanding of current issues and conditions for labor unions. A combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
· Strong knowledge and understanding of SEIU goals, unions or other advocacy organizations.
· Ability to handle multiple tasks and perform successfully in a high-pressure and dynamic environment.
· Ability to interact on a peer-level with senior staff at SEIU, other Unions and with other progressive movement or political partners.
· Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; proven presentation skills.
· Facility with budget and financial concepts and presentations.
This position involves some travel and supports efforts beyond traditional hours. Work is generally performed in an office setting, but may be required to work in other settings conducive to performing the tasks required to complete assignments.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.