Maine State Employees Association, SEIU Local 1989 (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Executive Director
Location: Augusta ME
MSEA-SEIU The Maine State Employees Association, Local 1989 of the Service Employees International Union, a progressive and dynamic statewide member-run labor union representing over 13,000 public and private sector workers in the State of Maine, is accepting applications for the position of Executive Director.
The position is responsible for, but not limited to:
· Direct supervision of management staff and integration of staff with overall strategic direction of MSEA
· Ensure that MSEA has the appropriate staff to meet the goals of the organization
· General administration of MSEA under the direction of the Board of Directors and the supervision of the President
· Implement the policies and directives of the Board of Directors
· Implement and monitor the budget adopted at the Annual Meeting
Applicants must possess:
· Extensive knowledge and experience in all aspects of the labor movement
· Strong knowledge of and experience in government and public policy
· Ability to analyze union issues and prioritize work demands
· Knowledge of union history, organization, and programs
· Clear strategic thinking to prioritize staff work and help lead staff in dramatically changing political environment under intense internal and external pressure
· Proven manager and supervisor capable of building high performing teams, and motivating and developing staff
· High level of facilitation and leadership skills in collaborative work
· Exemplary proficiency in written and oral communication, listening and conflict resolution
· Ability to create a team approach to the work where each team understands their important role; breaks down silos
· Full knowledge of and experience in public and private sector bargaining.
· Ability to work effectively with other labor organizations
· High level ability to make sound independent judgments and take initiative
· Emotional intelligence and professional self-management under pressure
· Proficiency in professional writing, word processing and email communication
· Professional standards of behavior and appearance
· Advanced degree in labor relations, public policy or related field or equivalent experience required
This is a salaried position requiring long and irregular hours, frequent travel and occasional overnight stays. A valid driver’s license and a vehicle are required.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for us, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
MSEA, SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.