SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Public Services Division Field Director Grade: MGT E
Location: Chicago, IL
Purpose: This position is responsible for assisting in the execution of the SEIU Public Services Division organizing campaigns. The Field Director works with the Public Services Division Organizing Director and Campaign Directors to develop, implement, and coordinate organizing campaigns for the division.
- Coordinates and directs various parts of the Public Services Division organizing campaigns including elections, advocacy, field mobilization, coalition work, and leadership development.
- Manages multiple campaigns at once across cities, states, and regions.
- Supervises and manages Coordinators and other field staff to ensure they meet campaign goals and develop staff.
- Develops strategies and goals in conjunction with the Division leadership and campaign directors.
- Responsible for maintaining spending within a campaign budget.
- Works with SEIU local leaders, state councils, and partner unions to develop organizing plans and creates resource agreements as needed.
- Coordinates large scale national projects and actions.
- Convenes and coordinates SEIU staff assigned to this program working on legislation, strategic campaigns, communications, and legal issues
- Represents SEIU in public forums, internally, and in coalitions.
- Prepares assessments of this program on an ongoing basis.
- Performs other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
Includes SEIU and affiliate staff and leaders, Public Services Division leadership, and coalition partners.
Direction and Decision-Making:
This position may report to the Public Services Division Organizing Director or a division Campaign Director. The Field Director helps direct the campaign staff and works independently
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited four year college or university with a bachelors degree and at least six years of political/organizing and/or labor experience including three years of work experience with responsibility for management of large and complicated projects
- Knowledge of and experience with both national and local structures of the labor movement and coalition partners.
- Knowledge of public sector issues, including federal and state budget funding, non-profit funding streams, and the various federal and state laws and regulations governing the operation of public sector programs.
- Knowledge of and experience with political and organizing campaigns
- Ability to manage and assess multiple programs and priorities
- Ability to manage program budget and implement plans
- Ability to effectively manage and prioritize budgets and large projects.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in different states and meet deadlines
- Ability to build teams, delegate work, and work effectively in a team environment in both a lead and a support role.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with International Union staff, Local Union and State Council staff, and other partner organizations
- Ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
- Ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
- Ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining important and effective relationships.
- Ability to quickly troubleshoot problems.
- Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to lead and motivate others within politically charged environment.
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Computer proficiency, including spreadsheets and database skills.
Work is preformed in both an office and field setting. Long and extended hours and extensive travel required.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.