New England Health Care Employees Union, District 1199 SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Communications Director
Location: Hartford, CT
Connecticut’s largest union of health care workers seeks a Communications Director with strong commitment to progressive social change, excellent writing, new media and interpersonal communications skills.
Member of senior leadership team. Reports to union president.
• Develop internal and external communications program
• Create, develop, maintain and update union’s websites, FaceBook pages and Twitter feed
• Write, design and produce printed and electronic communications, including newsletters, leaflets, stickers, brochures, text and email messages
• Develop pro-active and comprehensive communications calendars
• Make, develop and maintain media contacts
• Design and stage media events: news conferences, rallies, etc.
• Train union members and other staff in public speaking and media communications
• Write news advisories and releases, write and place letters to the editor and op-eds, pitch story ideas to media
• Respond to media inquiries and information requests or direct as appropriate
• Organize and maintain library of news clippings, radio coverage and television footage
Skills and Abilities
• Union, political, and/or community/non-profit organization experience
• Excellent verbal writing skills; strong interpersonal skills
• Commitment to issues of social justice
• Ability to work independently and balance multiple tasks simultaneously
• Experience in media relations, journalism, public affairs, politics, labor and/or community organizing
• Experience in desktop publishing and graphic design
• Strong familiarity with all aspects of New Media, including web design, Facebook and Twitter
• Familiarity with one or more of the following software platforms a plus: Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, Blue State Digital (email platform), Revolution Messagin
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for us, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
New England Health Care Employees Union, District 1199 SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.