SEIU Benefit Funds
Job Title: Pension Assistant I (TERM) Grade: TS-4
Location: Washington, D.C.
This position is responsible for maintaining pension benefit records and commencing pension benefits in accordance with plan rules and regulations for the SEIU Benefit Funds. The SEIU Benefit Funds administer multiple benefit funds in a fast paced environment.
Primary Responsibilities: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
· Commences pension benefit payments.
· Maintains Pension Master File Records including: a) tax withholdings b) union dues withholdings, c) pensioners working after retirement recalculations and d) pensioners exceeding limits for working after retirement.
· Consults, researches, and resolves issues regarding various issues related to participants, beneficiaries, trustees, employers, etc.
· Prepares pension benefit suspension letters as assigned.
· Prepares letters related to pension benefits as assigned.
· Prints pension benefit checks as assigned.
· Provides information to SEIU Benefit Funds Call Center Department regarding benefit applicants critical to Fund Office processing benefit applications in timely manner.
· Processes data for and/or prepares filings and notices as assigned.
· Processes and maintains participant and beneficiary census and payment data.
· Assists with implementation of software.
· Monitors and maintains benefit application data.
· Assists with clerical function of the SEIU Benefit Funds.
· Assists Executive Director, Deputy Director, Benefits Processing Manager and Assistant Benefits Processing Manager with special projects as assigned.
· Performs other duties as required to support the mission of the department and the SEIU Benefit Funds.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Benefits Processing Manager.
Education and Experience:
Associates degree from an accredited college or university with coursework including business administration or other related coursework and one (1) year of experience in a business administration or pension environment.
High school or GED and three (3) years of experience in a business administration or pension environment.
Or, a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
· Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
· Ability to think critically and produce sound, logical conclusions.
· Ability to perform data entry functions.
· Ability to work efficiently and effectively in demanding environment.
· Ability to handle sensitive situations in a calm respectful manner
· Ability to multitask using oral, visual and tactile senses simultaneously.
· Ability to handle multiple projects, meet established deadlines and adapt to an ever changing environment for the purpose of accomplishing results.
· Ability to organize work/tasks to provide for systematic and efficient processes.
· Ability to produce work accurately and thoroughly.
· Ability to maintain flexible attitude and approach toward assignments while actively participating and supporting a team environment.
· Proficient in the use of personal computers using accounting, database, and spreadsheet software or other SEIU Benefit Fund Office software, including Microsoft Office Suite, in the performance of record keeping.
Excel (Basic); Word (Basic)
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Overtime required as necessary.
Sixteen (16) calendar weeks
Term of the Position:
Up to one (1) Year
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for us, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU Benefit Funds is an Equal Opportunity Employer.