Committee Of Interns And Residents (CIR)
Job Title: Communications Director Annual: $85,000- 105,000 /YR
Location: New York City, Los Angeles or Bay Area
The Committee of Interns and Residents, the largest resident physicians’ union in the country, is looking for a Communications Director based in New York or California (Los Angeles or Bay Area). The Communications Director is responsible for leading CIR’s communication activities, primarily by building our brand and image as the national voice for interns, residents and fellows and developing communications strategies to support our campaigns.
The Communications Director will be a member of the Senior Leadership Team and will be a key advisor to the leaders of the Union.
CIR is a nationwide, progressive, member-driven healthcare union representing 16,000 resident physicians. Our vision is to be the national voice for interns, residents and fellows and to create better working conditions that allow physicians-in-training the ability to provide the highest quality patient care possible by building power through their union.
- Manage and evolve CIR’s brand and image as the national voice for interns, residents and fellows.
- Develop and implement a national campaign to move our vision forward
- Measure and track effectiveness of communication tools and strategies.
Earned and paid media strategy
- Spearhead earned media strategy to get press mentions, and reposts of owned media.
- Engage in media outreach, develop relationships with media outlets and journalists.
Strategic communications campaigns
- Turn organizing and campaign goals into clear communications strategies with the right frame, message, targeted audiences, tactics and platforms for success.
- Develop core messages that frame and drive narratives toward progress on our issues.
- Create a culture of effective communication across the organization by providing regular guidance and consultation to other teams/departments.
- Develop and supervise a team of communication coordinators to achieve departmental goals, deliver daily results and grow professionally.
Manage Owned Media
- Oversee the writing and editing of all content, including articles, press releases/advisories, op-eds, and photo and video.
- Oversee CIR’s multiple websites, social media presence and other platforms using CMS (content management system).
- Manage email database to promote CIR and to broaden audience.
- Develop and train member leaders as spokespeople for CIR and as trusted advocates for their patients and for physicians in training.
- Five or more years of experience in media relations, public affairs or campaign communications- you have experience and are ready to get to work.
- Excellent writing skills and attention to detail- we’ll never discover a typo after something has gone out
- Ability to work independently, prioritize multiple tasks and think critically- you say yes to challenges and solve problems independently before they become a crisis
- Ability to independently develop and acquire relevant job knowledge- you know what you don’t know and are ready to learn.
- Ability to build and manage relationships with colleagues, members, media outlets and reporters- you are a people person who can develop relationships remotely and communicates well.
- Ability to work long and irregular hours- you take care of business and yourself and understand that this isn’t a 9-5.
- Willing and able to travel- you know when you need to be there in person and aren’t afraid of a long flight and a hotel room.
- Previous communications experience with a labor union or other advocacy group- your resume backs up your knowledge.
- Preferred candidate has experience managing staff as a communications director
- Competitive starting salary, commensurate with experience
- Excellent benefits package: health, dental, vision, disability, 401(k), pension plan and paid sick/vacation time.
A resume and cover letter are required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for CIR, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
CIR is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants. Please visit our website for more information: www.cirseiu.org