SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Director of Organizing Annual Pay: $80K to $90K /YR
Location: Marlborough, MA
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
SEIU Local 509 has developed a dynamic and robust organizing program, successfully organizing thousands of private sector human service workers, faculty and graduate students, and family childcare providers in the past few years.
This position is responsible for leading and directing the next phase of the Local’s organizing program. This position requires someone with significant NLRB organizing, strategic campaign development, and supervisory experience.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Works as part of the union’s senior leadership team to develop and implement long term strategic growth plan
- Supervise organizing staff around NLRB organizing campaigns
- Leads planning, strategy, and implementation of all organizing drives
- Develops political and community support for organizing campaigns
- Work with the SEIU Public Sector Division to carry out organizing program in Massachusetts
- Coordinates work with internal organizing staff and officers who represent current members
- Hires, trains, supports and oversees Organizers
- Supervises staff in developing and maintaining organizing committees, including training, guidance, oversight and accountability of staff in performance of their duties
- Coordinate the development of a member organizing committee
- Process organizing petitions and Unfair Labor Practice Complaints related to organizing including investigation, preparation of witnesses and exhibits, and general development of case
- other duties as required
Works under the supervision of the President/Executive Director or his/her designee.
Supervises team of organizers, organizing coordinator, researcher and community organizer
- Experience leading NLRB organizing campaigns
- The Organizing Director should have at least five years’ experience –preferably running campaigns in both private and public sectors -and three years supervisory experience
- Candidates should have demonstrated experience with NLRB and state election laws and hopefully some experience with nontraditional routes to recognition and collective bargaining
- Knowledge of human service industry, public services, higher education and childcare
- Experience with supervision, team building and leadership development
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Experience with VAN and other organizing databases
- Ability to lead and work with a team
- Excellent organization skills
Salary and Benefits
Salary range is between high 80s to low 90s, including a generous benefit package.
SEIU Local 509 is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity — women, people of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.