SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Special Projects Coordinator/Executive Office Annual Pay : $93,202/YR
Location: Washington, DC
To provide support to the Chief of Staff and Executive Office in the coordination and implementation of priority programs and projects.
(Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Works with the Chief of Staff office, Officers, Staff Leadership Team, Staff Operations Team, and Executive Office staff to integrate and execute union priorities.
- Researches and synthesizes information from meetings and discussions, with recommendations on next steps.
- Works directly with the Chief of Staff, evaluating and anticipating needs to support program implementation.
- Tracks projects/programs progress and follows up with the various involved stakeholders to ensure established goals are met.
- Assists in convening and planning internal and external meetings, including support with all aspects of convening the meetings.
- Manages keys projects, including working with other departments to plan, budget, oversee specific projects to reach goals and deadlines.
- Serves as the Executive Office liaison with SEIU caucuses, including managing the relationships, tracking work plans, and enforcing policies to ensure compliance.
- Drafts communications content tailored to various audiences.
- Performs other duties as assigned in support of the union’s priorities.
Chief of Staff, SEIU Officers, Local Union Leaders and staff, Officer Assistants, Staff Leadership Team, Staff Operations Team, SEIU International staff, Community Partners.
Education and Experience:
Undergraduate degree in Communications, Political Science or related field, a minimum of seven (7) years of related work experience, or a combination of education and experience in labor union or non-profit organization.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Knowledge of labor unions.
- Skill in the use of Microsoft Office programs.
- A high level of judgment.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Ability to work with elected SEIU leaders, SEIU members, and staff in complex and sometimes sensitive situations.
- A high level of curiosity about SEIU and social/economic justice movements and passion for improving the lives of SEIU members and working people everywhere.
- Ability to model consistently the vision and values of the union, as well as our leadership standards: shared unity of purpose, openness to questions and willingness to learn; acting with the courage of our convictions; working together with accountability; and commitment to inclusion.
- Strong interest in the parts that make up the whole of the union.
- Ability to handle multiple, complex, “priority” projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines.
- Ability to make judgments “on the fly” that are reflective of union’s values and vision and help reach program goals.
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and be nimble on occasions where last-minute changes occur.
Direction and Decision Making:
- This position reports to the Chief of Staff. This is a management position that is part of the Executive Office team.
- Must maintain the highest level of confidentiality in handling SEIU affairs.
- Must use a high level of discretion in resolving problems within the Executive Office and throughout SEIU.
Work is generally performed in an office setting, but job may require work in the field or in other settings to perform the tasks required to complete assignments. Must be available for frequent travel with overnight stays. Long and extended hours required.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.