SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Budgeting and Financial Reporting Manager Grade: MGT E Annual Pay: $104,389/YR
Location: Washington, DC
This position is responsible for managing the organization’s overall budget planning and reporting processes. This position is also responsible for managing the financial aspects of key union campaigns and will work closely with various departments to ensure that financial regulations are adhered to. This role must manage the overall budgeting cycle and will also ensure that stakeholders across the organization are equipped with reporting and analysis tools to support their programmatic decisions. In this role, the manager will ensure that planning processes are adjusted to accommodate changing economic conditions and organizational priorities. SEIU requires a steward of member assets of the highest professional integrity in this position.
(Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Coordinates with information systems team to manage schedule of internal reports, including responsibility for initial report designs and modifications. Provides specialized reports as requested by departments and/or senior management to better track financial trends and provide a more comprehensive picture of the union’s finances.
- Works directly with the CFO, Deputy CFO and other Finance Directors to implement the highest level of budget management.
- Creates inventories of all reports developed and produced by the department for internal and external consumption.
- Develops and manages enhanced, collaborative processes for annual budget for the Union and drives that process with the executive office.
- Streamlines report production by using automated systems.
- Develops rolling budget techniques to facilitate longer term planning at the department and organizational level.
- Supports a team focused on Budgets, Reporting and Analysis, to meet the objectives of the department and the objectives of the Union.
- Identifies and researches trends and briefs senior management on emerging budget issues, and assists department management in mitigating budget problems.
- Monitors and manages accounting data quality and advises accounting team on reclassifications and other corrections.
- Collaborates with other Finance leaders to develop policies, and leads on implementing process changes across departments.
- Delivers high-quality presentations of financial information to senior managers and Union officers.
- Provides detailed, proactive analysis of the Union’s financial position, trends and forecasted spending, and communicates potential risks to the CFO and COS.
- Works with local unions to coordinate budgeting and financing of Union-wide programs
- Designs and maintains an organizational structure and staffing; recruits, employs, trains, supervises, and evaluates unit staff; has the duty to keep the staff at the highest level of skill necessary to meet Union needs and objectives; evaluates the performance of personnel in the department; determines training requirements; determines personnel to be hired or removed from the department.
- Coordinates and prepares pertinent information for internal and external clients (inter-departmental inquiries and accounting firms/auditors).
- Applies a high level of fiduciary responsibility in managing SEIU’s assets, including developing and maintaining an internal control environment.
- Assists with upkeep and maintenance of financial system, including upgrades and any other changes that are needed.
- Oversees campaign financial reporting and forecasting, including but not limited to the Fight for 15 campaign and Political campaigns. Works with other SEIU departments and consultants on campaign reports and reporting.
- Works with departments on all 501c(3), 501c(4) and 501c(5) organizations established by the union. Finance point-of-contact with outside auditing firms for these organizations once established. Part of the team assigned to close down these organizations when needed.
- Coordinates with Deputy CFO and department leadership on compliance-related activities.
- Coordinates with other teams to develop, update and monitor QuickBase, NGP and Navision, and Netsuite applications.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Director of Financial Planning & Analysis and is expected to be an active participant within the senior management team of the Finance Department.
Education and Experience:
Master’s degree in finance-related field; and at least five (5) years’ experience.
Bachelor’s degree and ten (10) years experience in accounting or finance-related role.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of financial metrics, accounting principles and processes
- Ability to structure and analyze basic and advanced financial reports
- General customer service skills and ability to build relationships easily
- Ability to formulate a program budget, identify assumptions and variables
- Ability to calculate complex financial ratios (current, liquidity, turnover, etc.) and prepare calculation schedules such as interest, depreciation and inter-fund allocations
- Knowledge of advanced rolling budget and forecasting principles
- Ability to analyze financial conditions and apply them to the planning process
- Ability to think critically and analytically in linking strategic planning to financial planning
- Ability to multi-task, establish priorities and effectively organize work in a changing environment
- Ability to maintain flexible attitude and approach toward assignments and actively participate in a team-based setting
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with SEIU managers and administrative staff in both written and oral presentation
- Ability to communicate sensitive information to principals
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software – Excel, Word and SharePoint
- Knowledge of Netsuite, Microsoft Dynamics, Tableau, and report writing software a plus
Tests/Certifications: Microsoft Excel (intermediate level required; expert preferred)
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel
may be required.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.