SEIU Benefit Funds (Service Employees International Union)
Location: Washington, D.C.
Job Title: Pension Assistant II Grade: TS - 5 . Annual Pay: $54,038.36.
This position is responsible for processing pension benefit calculations in accordance with plan rules and regulations for the SEIU Benefit Funds. The SEIU Benefit Funds administer multiple benefit funds in a fast-paced environment.
Primary Responsibilities: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Processes pension benefit calculations according to plan rules and regulations and/or merger agreements.
- Processes pension benefit recalculations as required due to additional service credit being reported after initial calculation is performed.
- Processes pension benefit application.
- Analyzes, interprets, communicates and applies complicated plan language and merger agreements as related to pension benefits.
- Analyzes, interprets, communicates and applies ERISA, DOL and IRS Regulations as related to pension benefits.
- Researches and analyzes pension benefit related delinquencies in coordination with the SEIU Benefit Funds Contributions Compliance Department.
- Consults, researches, and resolves issues regarding various issues related to participants, beneficiaries, trustees, employers, etc.
- Prepares reports for the trustee meetings.
- Assists with implementation of software.
- Monitors and maintains pension benefit application data.
- Assists with clerical function of the SEIU Benefit Funds.
- Assists Executive Director, Deputy Director, Benefits Processing Manager and Assistant Benefits Processing Manager with special projects as assigned.
- Performs other duties as required to support the mission of the department and the SEIU Benefit Funds.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Benefits Processing Manager.
Education and Experience:
Associates degree from an accredited college or university with coursework including business administration and advanced math or other related coursework and two (2) years of experience in a pension environment.
High school or GED, one (1) year of college coursework including business administration and advanced math and three (3) years of experience in a pension environment.
Or, a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to analyze, interpret, apply and communicate ERISA, DOL and IRS Regulations as related to pension benefits.
- Ability to analyze, interpret, apply and communicate complicated plan language and merger agreements.
- Ability to create and maintain confidentiality of information.
- Ability to perform detailed calculations with accuracy in an efficient manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to think critically and produce sound, logical conclusions.
- Ability to perform data entry functions.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in demanding environment.
- Ability to handle sensitive situations in a calm respectful manner.
- Ability to handle multiple projects, meet established deadlines and adapt to an ever-changing environment for the purpose of accomplishing results.
- Ability to organize work/tasks to provide for systematic and efficient processes.
- Ability to produce work accurately and thoroughly.
- Ability to maintain flexible attitude and approach toward assignments while actively participating and supporting a team environment.
- Proficient in the use of personal computers using accounting, database, and spreadsheet software or other SEIU Benefit Funds software, including Microsoft Office Suite, in the performance of record keeping.
Excel (Intermediate); Word (Intermediate)
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Overtime required as necessary.
Sixteen (16) calendar weeks
SEIU Benefit Funds is an Equal Opportunity Employer.