SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Communications Coordinator Grade: MGT D Salary starts at $94,601 per year
Location: Washington, DC or Chicago
Purpose of position:
This is a senior level position within SEIU communications and is responsible for the development and implementation of both state-based and national communications plans for healthcare campaigns and initiatives to unite more working people to bring about the changes that SEIU members are fighting for, including affordable, quality healthcare for all, unions for everyone and a strong voice at work. This is a demanding position requiring a communicator experienced in movement building, advocacy and organizing communications and media relations. This position will be responsible for developing strategy with multi-disciplinary teams and candidates should really enjoy and excel in working in teams on a variety of strategies including organizing, political action and federal advocacy, and contract negotiations.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Manages strategy and implementation of national campaign and initiative communications to unite more working people across the healthcare industry in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico.
- Works directly with communicators within local unions to build national and state-based strategies and teams that will maximize our reach and effectiveness in meeting campaign goals.
- Ensures high quality standards, best practices, and consistency of message in all communications.
- Manages qualitative and quantitative research as needed, message development and message integration across projects.
- Drafts, creates and edits content creation for a variety of campaigns, as well as talking points, remarks, speeches for public events for members and leaders.
- Manages external media relations strategy, tactics, implementation and analysis.
- Provides media and spokesperson training for local leaders and members.
- Manages campaign event communications – strategy, message, look and feel, materials, marketing, media outreach, event flow and agenda.
- Directly supervises individuals on the communications team and provides effective management. Supports communication needs of local communicators, encourages strategic growth and exchange of ideas and coordinates national strategy.
- This position is responsible for clear and effective planning, budgeting, and project management, and coordinates with divisions, departments, and campaign leaders on budget and management, recruiting and hiring and consulting or vendor issues as needed.
- As an effective manager, prioritizes the growth and development of division communications staff that report to this position, including training, feedback, reviews, skills and career development.
- Performs other duties as assigned in support of the work of the organization.
Must be able to represent the International Union with local leaders, members, media, community allies, and elected officials and staff with a high level of professionalism.
Excels in addressing demanding communications challenges, including crisis communications.
Enjoys working on teams and in coalitions to reach shared goals.
Strong political awareness and a self-starter on complex projects and events.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Five to eight years of related work experience or combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategy on a wide range of campaigns, including organizing, contract, political, and legislative, as well as experience working with community allies.
- Thorough knowledge of media and social media trends that are most effective for organizing and movement building.
- Thorough knowledge of paid, earned and shared media and experience in working with graphic designers, video producers to produce dynamic and effective content.
- Excellent writing, verbal, and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to continuously develop knowledge and skills related to use of rapidly changing technology.
- Knowledge of unions, healthcare industry and policy, and other advocacy organizations preferred.
Work is generally performed in an office setting, but job may require work in the field or in other settings to perform the tasks required to complete assignments. This position may require regular travel with overnight stays and long and irregular hours on occasion.
A resume and cover letter are required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy excellent benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employees and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.