SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Policy Analyst Grade: PS1- Annual Pay is $65,273.29/YR
Location: Washington, DC
This position is responsible for conducting research and analysis on social, economic and public policy trends related to SEIU goals.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
• Analyzes topics of concern to SEIU to support legislative initiatives, industry organizing opportunities, grassroots campaigns or other political mobilization work.
• Assists with developing written materials, including correspondence, testimony, reports and policy memoranda for internal and external use.
• Under the direction of and working closely with the Deputy Policy Director, represents SEIU in public forums internally and externally as an advocate.
• Under the direction of and working closely with the Deputy Policy Director, monitors and analyzes federal, state and local legislative and regulatory activity, policy options, and policy proposals; prepares statements, testimony and comments.
• Liaises and advocates with outside organizations and other unions as assigned.
• Monitors political and research developments of interest to SEIU and disseminates to other SEIU staff.
• Maintains files and performs personal clerical duties.
• Performs other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
Include SEIU staff and experts on public policy issues.
Direction and Decision Making
This position reports to the appropriate divisional Deputy Policy Director.
Education and Experience
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelors degree in Public Policy, Economics or related field and at least one (1) year of experience in policy analysis. Experience with issue development in a political context and an advanced degree preferred
Or, a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Knowledge of unions and their issues.
• Knowledge of statistics.
• Knowledge of policy analysis.
• Knowledge of issue development in a political context preferred.
• Ability to perform analytical analysis and writing.
• Ability to use personal computer, including spreadsheets, databases and on-line research services.
• Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
• Ability to conduct formal research, analyze data and make sound, logical conclusions.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to make formal presentations and write advocacy papers.
• Ability to handle multiple projects and meet established timelines.
• Skill in the use of personal computers for purposes of financial and data analysis.
• Skill in the use of spreadsheets, database management systems, presentation software and on-line information sources.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel
Probationary Period: Thirty six (36) calendar weeks
Writing sample required. Test required.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
This position is part of a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and as such the incumbent is bound by the language of said agreement and party to all benefits, dues and requirements associated with being a member of a union and the (CBA).
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Relocation costs are not covered by SEIU.