SEIU Benefit Funds (Service Employees International Union)
Location: Washington, D.C.
Job Title: Health & Welfare Fund Technician (Term) Grade: TS-5 Annual Pay: $54,848.94 /YR
This position is responsible for the maintenance of current collective bargaining agreements for all employers participating in the Health and Welfare Fund, the review of contracts with Local Unions and employers prior to contact expiration, maintenance of Fund’s delinquency system and cash contributions
Primary Responsibilities: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Maintains the Fund’s delinquency system; tracks delinquent accounts, sends delinquency and discrepancy notices.
- Reconciles monthly eligibility credit and totals deposits with the cash contribution report.
- Monitors, posts, and balances all incoming contributions to the Health and Welfare Fund.
- Receives daily reports from bank and mail; deposits all contributions into the Health and Welfare Fund.
- Posts daily remittance data to the on-line computer database.
- Mails monthly remittance reports and enrollment cards.
- Makes adjustments to accounts reconciling employer and employee credits.
- Works with Auditing Department and legal counsel to track and post audit bills and payments.
- Processes requests for various reports and labels.
- Coordinates the receipt of copies of local union collective bargaining agreements; to analyze and summarize provisions pertaining to participants in SEIU health and welfare programs.
- Maintains database of rates, prepares reports on trend increases and supports Fund employers and local unions with appropriate data to facilitate contract negotiations.
- Works with legal advisers to ensure that collective bargaining agreements comply with laws and policies; keeps them updated on delinquent accounts.
- Answers inquiries from participants; resolves problems or issues.
- Sends COBRA notices to participants and collects COBRA payments.
- Maintains listing of annual notices and ensures that notices are mailed in a timely manner.
- Prepares and tracks Board polls of members for the Board of Trustees.
- Performs other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
Include SEIU staff and others related to accounting issues.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Health and Welfare Administrator and the incumbent works under general supervision.
Education and Experience:
Graduation high school and an associate degree in accounting or a related field and at least two (2) years experience in the collections field of a benefits office.
Or a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of benefit fund operations and collections.
- Knowledge of labor unions and their operations.
- Knowledge of COBRA and ERISA rules and regulations.
- Ability to work effectively with plan participants.
- Ability to effectively handle sensitive situations.
- Ability to receive data and make sound, logical conclusions.
- Ability to perform data entry functions.
- Skill in the use of personal computers
- Skill in the use of Microsoft Office Suite including spreadsheet, database, and word processing software.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. May be required to work unusual hours during peak periods.
Sixteen (16) calendar weeks
Term of the Position
Up to one (1) Year
SEIU Benefit Funds is an Equal Opportunity Employer.