SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Senior Database Specialist Grade:III Annual Pay is $76,546.00/YR
Location: New York, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Chicago, IL; Detroit, MI; Milwaukee, WI; or Mineapolis, MN
This position is responsible for working with local unions to design and develop data and technology systems to help local unions track, report and analyze member development and member activity and worker organizing.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Assists local unions to troubleshoot and design local union dataflow to enable better member and worker organizing tracking.
- Assists local union to administer Internal organizing campaign data, organizing databases and other technologies employed during SEIU’s political, internal and external organizing efforts.
- Provides guidance and advice to SEIU locals on how to use existing technology to better track and report member activity and/or worker organizing.
- Provides guidance and advice to SEIU Divisions, Locals and organizing campaigns that enhance member list, member activists list, and other data to enhance member development.
- Works closely with department staff to develop systems that help locals track campaign and local union member engagement goals.
- Develops and maintains on-going relationships with local union data and technology staff to understand and fix their data challenges.
- Serves as liaison to other departments including the Data and Technology department, Organizing Data Team, and the political data team to ensure the department is staying current on the technology that is at SEIU disposal, developing system that feed into the other SEIU systems, and shares best practice on data flow and integrity
- Develops and Implements training of International, State Council, and Local Union staff in the use of campaign data and organizing technology.
- Represents SEIU in internal and external forums and maintains relations with SEIU locals and state councils.
- Imports and exports files between formats and programs such as Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, SQL, delimited text files, and a variety of file formats including utilizing e-mail and web-based applications.
- Integrates field data with internal and external data sources in order to provide enhanced analysis of organizing efforts
- Performs other duties as assigned in support of the work of the Organizing Data Department, the Political Department, or SEIU’s Divisions and organizing campaigns.
Include SEIU and affiliate staff and experts on data, marketing and organizing best practices.
Direction and Decision Making
This position reports to the Senior Data Strategist for Organizing.
Education and Experience
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in political/social sciences or liberal arts and at least three (3) years of political, issue or union internal and external organizing campaigns experience or at least one (1) year experience in statistics or data analysis
Or, a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of labor unions and how local unions operate
- Knowledge of strategies and tactics to recruit, educate, mobilize and development members
- Knowledge of local union dues and member tracking systems
- Ability to work with both technical staff and internal organizing staff
- Knowledge of working on political, internal, and external organizing campaigns
- Expert knowledge of databases (e.g. Voter Activation Network - VAN, and Catalist).
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in politically sensitive situations.
- Ability to handle multiple sensitive assignments in a timely manner.
- Ability to determine how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Ability to analyze data and make sound, logical conclusions.
- Ability to look beyond the standard solutions.
- Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and Access
- Proficiency in SQL or comparable programming software.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and some travel required.
Analytical writing sample required.
Microsoft Access (Intermediate), Excel (Intermediate) and SQL (intermediate)
Probationary Period: Twelve (12) months
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
This position is part of a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and as such the incumbent is bound by the language of said agreement and party to all benefits, dues and requirements associated with being a member of a union and the (CBA).
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Relocation costs are not covered by SEIU.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.