SEIU (Services Employees International Union)
Job Title: Airport Organizing Coordinator I
Grade: MGT B - Starting Annual Salary: $75,415
Job Location: Charlotte, NC
The 2 million members united in the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) are at the forefront of a movement to build power for working people and empower all workers to form unions, no matter what job they do. SEIU members are from every walk of life, every political party, every background, every faith. They come from communities with their own stories and strengths, and that makes the Union all the more powerful because there’s strength in numbers. SEIU members work across the healthcare spectrum providing high quality care and services. They are the workers who keep our nation’s airports running and make sure landmark buildings are clean and secure. They provide essential public services and give a foundation of learning to our youngest and brightest. SEIU members believe in and are fighting for a Just Society where all workers are valued and all people respected—no matter where they come from or what color they are; where all families and communities can thrive; and where we leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come.
The Airport Organizing Coordinators are responsible for representing and assisting the International Union in achieving its overall organizing program goals with special emphasis on the particular Property Services Division, Industry of Airports.
- Drives and manages multiple locations or large scale Airport Organizing Campaigns or major elements of the SEIU Property Services Division - Airports Organizing Campaign to include organizing resources offered to locals and/or projects and assisting with overall management of field administration.
- Assists in formulating strategic airport campaign plans, including developing strategy, comprehensive campaign planning, narrative and message development, budget development and campaign office administration.
- Coordinates and executes airport field campaign plans.
- Supervises, leads, assigns, and evaluates Organizing Field Staff, including developing individual work plans and overseeing their implementation and evaluation.
- Administers appropriate disciplinary action such as developing corrective performance plans or recommends terminations if necessary, in coordination with the Field Director and/or Airport Campaign Director.
- Recruits, interviews and recommends for hire, new staff in coordination with Airports Campaign staff.
- Designs and implements organizing training and development plans designed to build effective teams to win union campaigns.
- Reviews and makes recommendations and requests for appropriate allocation of International Union Staff, Local Union Staff and other resources.
- Authorizes expenditures within the campaign budget with proper approval from appropriate Airport Campaign Staff.
- Works with other Organizing Coordinators, Division leadership, Local union leadership and/or allies to coordinate Property Services Division or National or Local airport campaign organizing goals.
- Integrates airport campaign organizing plans with all other SEIU programs and strategic priorities.
- Works in collaboration with other SEIU Local Union and International Union staff.
- Maintains regular contact with and reporting to SEIU leadership while working independently to achieve organizing and other strategic goals.
Benefits: SEIU staff enjoy excellent employer-sponsored benefits to include comprehensive health benefits (major medical, dental and vision coverage) for employees and eligible dependents; domestic partner benefits; competitive compensation; generous holiday and vacation leave policies; and both a pension retirement plan and a 401(k) retirement savings plan.
Contacts: SEIU staff and others related to airport organizing issues.
Direction and Decision Making: This position may report to a Property Services Division Coordinator II, Coordinator III, Campaign Director and/or Property Services Division Director while work independently.
Experience: At least three (3) years of supervisory or team management experience and five (5) years of organizing campaign experience to include:
- Working knowledge of organizing planning, development and execution processes and best practices required.
- Working knowledge of strategies and tactics used by SEIU to organize, develop and lead workers that win union campaigns required.
- Working knowledge of team or organizational management and leadership skills.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Working knowledge of unions and collective bargaining units.
- Writing campaign plans, reports and other relevant documents.
- Proficiency with the use of Microsoft Office Suite applications: Word, Excel and Voter Activation Network databases (NGP VAN).
- Supervising, developing and managing organized teams made up of people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Working effectively with elected leaders and staff in complex and sometime political situations.
- Creating and conducting training sessions and staff development plans.
- Effectively and objectively evaluating staff and assisting in developing a proactive corrective performance plan.
Physical Requirements: Must be available to work long and irregular hours, weekends and travel, potentially over large geographic areas.
The position often requires temporary assignments away from home.
Work is generally performed both in an office setting and in the field, but may be required to work in other settings conducive to performing the tasks required to complete assignments.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.