SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Position: Communications Program Manager
Grade: MGT D - Salary: $94,601.00/YR
Location: Washington, DC (HQ) or Remotely - Flexible
The 2 million members united in the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) are at the forefront of a movement to build power for working people and empower all workers to form unions, no matter what job they do. SEIU members are from every walk of life, every political party, every background, every faith. They come from communities with their own stories and strengths, and that makes the Union all the more powerful because there’s strength in numbers. SEIU members work across the healthcare spectrum providing high quality care and services. They are the workers who keep our nation’s airports running and make sure landmark buildings are clean and secure. They provide essential public services and give a foundation of learning to our youngest and brightest. SEIU members believe in and are fighting for a Just Society where all workers are valued and all people respected—no matter where they come from or what color they are; where all families and communities can thrive; and where we leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come.
The Communications Program Manager manages the SEIU Public Services Division work to support priorities for growth, to involve members and the public, in achieving the growth goals, and to brand SEIU as the National and International Union within the industry.
This position focuses on SEIU Higher Education Initiative - Faculty Forward which supports the efforts of campus workers across the country to win $15 and hour and a union. The manager selected for this role will support campaigns to win unions for state and local government workers.
In this role, the Communications Program Manager leads a team of communicators to:
- Reveal the impact of low pay and underinvestment in the higher education system on This position focuses on SEIU Higher Education Initiative - Faculty Forward which supports the efforts of campus workers across the country to win $15 and hour and a union. The manager selected for this role will support campaigns to win unions for state and local government workers.This position focuses on SEIU Higher Education Initiative - Faculty Forward which supports the efforts of campus workers across the country to win $15 and hour and a union. The manager selected for this role will support campaigns to win unions for state and local government workers.individuals through compelling communications.
- Raise expectations about the ability of faculty, students and community members to fix the broken higher education system and win big changes like Universal College, through their Union.
- Emphasize the importance of educator voice in real higher education reform.
- Demonstrate the power of educators and students in electoral politics.
- Manages strategy and implementation of national campaigns and initiatives related to uniting more campus workers across the country.
- Works directly with communicators within Local Unions to build national and state-based strategies and teams that will maximize our reach and effectiveness in meeting campaign goals.
- Ensures high quality standards, best practices and consistency of messages, in all communications.
- Manages digital strategy, tactics, implementation and analysis
- Manages qualitative and quantitative research, message development and message integration across projects.
- Drafts, creates and edits content for a variety of efforts as well as talking points, remarks, speeches for public events for members and leaders.
- Manages media relations strategy, to include tactics, implementation and analyses.
- Provides media and spokesperson training for local leaders and members.
- Manages campaign event communications – strategy message, look and feel materials, marketing media outreach, event flow, and agenda.
- Directly supervises individuals on the communications team and provides effective management; supports communications needs of local communicators, encourages strategic growth and exchange of ideas and coordinates national strategy.
- Ensures clear and effective planning, budgeting, and project management.
- Coordinates with divisions, departments and campaign leaders on budget and management, recruiting and hiring, and selecting and managing vendors and or consultants.
- As an effective Manager, prioritizes the growth and development of the Division Communications staff that report to this position, including training, feedback, performance reviews, and skills development.
SEIU staff enjoy excellent employer-sponsored benefits to include comprehensive health benefits (major medical, dental and vision coverage) for employees and eligible dependents; domestic partner benefits; competitive compensation; generous holiday and vacation leave policies; and both a pension retirement plan and a 401(k) retirement savings plan.
Direction and Decision Making: Reports to the Assistant Director of Communications and works independently.
5-8 years of directly related work experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Developing and implementing communications strategy on a wide range of campaigns, including organizing, contract, political, and legislative, as well as experience working with community allies.
- Working knowledge of media and social media trends that are most effective for organizing and movement building.
- Working knowledge of paid, earned and shared media and experience in working with pollsters, photographers, graphic designers and video producers to produce dynamic and effective content.
- Excellent writing, verbal, and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to continuously develop knowledge and skills related to use of rapidly changing technology.
- Working knowledge of unions or other advocacy organizations especially in the higher education sphere preferred.
Work is generally performed in an office setting, but job may require work in the field or in other settings to perform the tasks required to complete assignments. Must be available for frequent travel with overnight stays. Long and irregular hours.
A resume and a cover letter. The Cover Letter should explain the reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into the candidate's long-term career plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.